Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

DC Super Hero Girls "Supergirl" 12 inch doll by Mattel


Hello everyone!
Today's post is a quick review of the "Supergirl" DC Superhero Girls 12 inch doll made by Mattel.  There are 7 dolls in this line so far and include Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Bumblebee, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and a San Diego Comic Con exclusive, Katana. I have also heard that they are coming out with an 8th doll soon (Starfire).

So far, I have only purchased Supergirl and Wonder Woman.
I know that Emily (from the Toy Box Philosopher blog) already did a very in-depth review of Wonder Woman, so this is just a quick close up of my other favorite, Super Girl.

DC Superhero Girls are dolls that are based off of a short cartoon series on Youtube with the same name.  The concept is similar to Monster High and Ever After High and it portrays a group of superhero and villian kids that go to Super Hero High School in order to learn how to properly use their powers.  It is very light and geared towards kids, but focuses on being kind and helping others.

Supergirl's character on the show is quite clumsy and charming as she struggles to manager all of her powers.  Supergirl's real name is Kara Zor-El and is the cousin of Superman.  There was a movie I remember watching in the 80s that first sparked my interest in this character.

She originally retailed for $19.99 and was released in early 2016.  I believe I got mine at Walmart, but she's currently on sale (as are most of the others) here on Amazon: Supergirl for $13.  Bumble Bee was just on sale there for $8 but I missed her! :(


Supergirl shares the same general face mold that all the dolls have and she has bright blue eyes, light brown eyebrows and shiny red lips.  Her eyelashes are pretty minimal, but I think that adds to her youth.  I had to pick through a few Supergirls to find the one with the best "gaze" as I noticed some can be a bit wonky.  If you're really picky about that, then I recommend you pick one out in person!


Her outfit is bright with cheery primary colors, just like Wonder Woman and includes this cute little short-sleeved dress. There is also a yellow necklace with a blue gem that is tucked into her collar that is molded plastic to fit snugly around her neck.


She also wears molded converse-style high top sneakers with slouchy white socks. There is a lot of nice detail in these.  You can even see the little "S" emblem on the outter side of her shoe.


For such small detail, the laces are painted quite nicely! 


Not shown here is Supergirl's cape. The girls like to play with this doll so unfortunately the cape has been "misplaced", lol.  The cape is molded plastic and here's a photo from the Amazon promos so you can see her full outfit.



Super Accessories:  Supergirl never goes anywhere without her cape. 
Well, she goes a lot of places without her cape around here, lol. 


Supergirl's hair is straight and blonde and according to Emily's review, her best guess was that it is synthetic mohair.  Either way, there doesn't seem to be any glue (although the bangs feel gelled) and it's shiny and soft.  She has a side-swept fringe across the front of her face and long layers in the back


Sans cape, here are the rest of Supergirl's accessories.  Besides the obvious, she also has two mismatched wrist cuffs.


Supergirl's body has the general shape as an Ever After High doll, just on a larger scale and with an added upper torso articulation similar to a Made to Move Barbie.


She comes with 12 points of articulation.  Her legs are a flexible, but this is about as far as she can do a center split.


Pretty good with the side splits, though.  



Here's about how far her knees can bend. 


Barbie Made to Move legs vs DC Superhero Girls legs. As you can see, Supergirl's legs are quite a bit more muscular looking, especially in the calves. 


For the most part, she can wear Barbie and Liv doll clothes quite well.  She definitely won't fit into any of their shoes.


Mini Farrah (hehe) fits nicely into Supergirl's dress.  
Unfortunately she can't fit into Monster High or Ever After High doll clothes and the sleeves won't go past her larger forearms. 


Luckily Supergirl has gotten over her initial shyness and has been making herself useful around here.  She's saving lives and finding new friends. :)


I am so happy to have these two lovely dolls in our collection as they have always been my "superhero" idols (as well as She-Ra, of course) when I was younger!  Pumpkin Pie and Little Button have loved playing with them and even dressed up as them for Halloween. :)


Wolf Supergirl and Wonder Woman :) 


I love that my girls pretend they are superheros and that this doll line focuses on kindness and team work.  I also love the attention to a more "athletic" shape this doll embodies. (Although, I feel they could go even farther with it and hope they do!)
For these new sale prices I have been noticing on Amazon (and most likely Walmart, Target and TRU), I think they are well worth the price and a great addition to your collection if you enjoy the superhero type of franchise.
I think they are a great gift for a younger kid as they are super sturdy and the hair is easy to manage.


Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  I had a heavy heart as we celebrated yesterday , mainly because of my concern with the protests and awful things happening in reference to the North Dakota pipeline stuff.

All that aside, I am truly thankful for you all and all the wonderful comments you guys leave as well as the lovely content on all of your blogs.  I love that even though there is A LOT going on in the world right now, this little doll world is a fun place to come and get away from it all. So I thank you for that!
See you in the next post!

xoxo Farrah


8 comments:

  1. Very nice review! I love Superheros too! I have been watching the new Supergirl series on the CW which is in it's second season. It is interesting to watch. Your girls costumes are adorable too! I love the photo where Wolf Supergirl is in flight! Maybe she does have super powers afterall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis! I have been meaning to watch that new Supergirl show. I love the actress that plays her as she was on GLEE and I was a huge "gleek", lol. Yes, I made the girls do funny poses so I could practice my Photoshop skills. :) She loved seeing herself fly! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely review! I'm really gaining interest in these dolls, I really want bumble bee >.< I'm glad you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving, yes there is a lot of annoying stuff going on lately but I agree, dolls are an awesome distraction! >.< And their costumes are so cute!!! Awwww!!!
    -Lydia
    Lydia's Dolls @ http://lydiasdolls.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lydia..and yes, the doll world is an amazing distraction and I love it so much. I hope you are able to get Bumble Bee as well, she's adorable!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your review. I really like Wonder Women and have been on the fence about here but I think I better get her now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brini, thank you. :) Yes, Wonder Woman is definitely a beautiful doll and I think she's worth it...especially if you can get her on sale with all of the holiday sales going on. :)

      Delete
  4. Can Supergirl wear Monster High's shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know off the top of my head, but I think Supergirl's feet may be a little bit bigger than the normal sized Monster High feed.

      Delete