Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

January

Wow, it's February 1st tomorrow!  I can hardly believe it.  It seems like it's been ages since I did one of my monthly round-ups, so I thought I'd throw in a few photos and tell you guys how we've been doing over here on the farm.  

Photo from New Year's Eve. :) 

New Year's Eve is usually pretty uneventful over here, or at least it has been for the past 6 years since we've had kids!  Pre-kids, I used to meet up each year with my best group of girlfriends at a different location each year.  We are all scattered between Texas, DC, Boston, Virginia and NY so it was always so much fun to all meet up and celebrate the ringing of the new year together.  We don't do that anymore, but those were some fun times!

This year my sister and her financé came over as well as my good friend and her boyfriend that were both traveling home from Oregon.  We drank lots of hard cider from a local cider mill and snacked and chit-chatted the night away. 
We made it until midnight and saw the first moments of 2016.  It was nice. :) 


Other than that, this month has been very uneventful, but extremely relaxing.  After the flurry of Florida travel and then holiday preparation, last month proved to be a little challenging for me anxiety-wise.  In the first few years after having my first daughter, I had really bad anxiety (complete with panic attacks) which started happening out of the blue every year around this same time.  During our Florida trip and a little after, I felt myself falling back into that anxiety a little more that usual, which was no fun, but with this month of quiet and stillness, I am feeling much better and back to my balanced self.  Phew!



I got back into my daily walking routine, which has been so incredibly beneficial to me (my cholesterol was off the charts amazing this year!)


This is my absolute favorite place on the farm.  It's a large hayfield about a mile out back from our house.


The snow you see here is pretty much all we have gotten the entire winter.  This is extremely bizarre for this area of the US. Thank you, El Niño!  I think it is supposed to be close to 50 degrees today.  I don't miss the stress of winter driving, but I do wish we would get a good heavy snowfall at least once, just for the sheer beauty of it.  Pumpkin Pie is totally crushed that we haven't gotten any snow.  :(




Lots of calves are being born, but I haven't been able to get too many good photos of them yet!  I will for next month though, as they are so cute. :)


Currently, the ground is totally dry and we have patches GREEN GRASS growing.  This is just weird and I'm sure many of you that live around here can agree!  Especially with places just south of us (DC, Maryland area) getting slammed with that snowstorm last weekend!


Overall, January was a lovely month.  I stuck to my doll buying budget and kept a list of every purchase to try to create more structure in this hobby.  I was feeling a bit out of control last year with my blind spending and should've been saving this whole time!  This year will be better.  :)
We dropped the girls off at Grammy's house last night (my mother had been chomping at the bit to have them over for a sleepover :) ) so hubby and I after off to a quiet breakfast and a peek into Barnes and Nobles.  Heavenly to be able to browse the isles, kid-free! :)

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Best to you all,
xo Farrah 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Farrah, I too can hardly believe how quickly the month of January has gone! And we've had a pretty eventful month what with the last week of earthquakes! But I'm glad to hear that you're much more relaxed now and that your anxiety levels have gone down. Is it the preparations for Christmas that usually start it, do you think? Could you start doing things a little earlier and maybe ease yourself into it more slowly and hopefully keep it at bay? I know it's easy for me to say, I don't have two little children to look after, but I hate to hear of you suffering in that way.
    Love the photos, love your wellies! And yes, some snow for photos would be pretty....for you to have and us to appreciate ;) of course!!! I don't want any snow here thank you!
    I look forward to seeing what you've bought in the last month :)
    Big hugs from Sharon in Spain x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Sharon, thank you for your sweet words! I think it must be the anxiety of holiday shopping, hosing Thanksgiving/Christmas and trying to cram so much in in such a short time. I'm not really sure though, perhaps it could be the seasonal changes...less light, colder weather. I know the first year it happened, I had started a new job and Pumpkin Pie was only 4 months old. I went from working three 12 hours night shifts to a full time day 8-430 job in a very fast paced environment all while trying to nurse a baby at night and pump during that day. I started it in November and I think the anxiety just finally caught up with me at that point. Then it happened the following year even worse at about the same time! After that, I didn't experience it too badly (and not at all last year) or again until this year. Our long drive to Florida with my husband's road rage may have been the trigger this time around, lol.
      I think you're right about doing things a little earlier, not worrying that everything is perfect and just going with the flow more will help me be better off for next year! :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Farrah, I loved reading this article, through your narrative and pictures I already feel relaxed! We're having a very strange winter here too, hardly any snow on the Alps, damp and unusually hot. It is so hot that mimosa trees blossomed in december!!!
    A huge Kiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it seems it's been warm almost everywhere! I'm glad the post helped you feel more relaxed as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the photos! Sounds like we've had more snow than you, but not by much. It definitely seems odd without it, but I'm not complaining. It got up to 60 here today. Hard to believe for January 31!

    I hear you on the trying to stick to a budget. It's so hard with so many cute things out there. I made a rather large purchase, but part of it was in my "wishlist", so I can't beat myself up too much over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, can't wait to see what you got! I agree, it's ok to spend and treat yourself. Especially if it's something you've really wanted for a while. There really are so many cute things out there!

      Delete
  4. Hi Farrah,
    I can relate to the pre Christmas stress after hosting our whole family, for so many years when my kids were growing up. And I guess this year the road rage wouldn't have helped you any. I am pleased you are more settled now.

    The photos of your farm are lovely, cows are very curious creatures and can be so funny to watch. Great wellies you have there! :)

    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Xanadu. I appreciate your kind words. I agree about the cows! I love how they always have that look on their faces while chewing their "cud." :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Farrah, as someone who has also suffered with anxiety problems and panic attacks, although thankfully not for quite a few years now, I vocal truely sympathise. I wonder if a bit so seasonal changes may also contribute? Glad to hear you have had a restful January to help put you more at ease. I have enjoyed your farm photos as always and still dream of a time I can return to the country to live.. Happy February

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Serenata. I'm sorry to hear you've "been there", but so glad you haven't felt that way in a long while. I feel soooo much better and I'm glad my anxiety was so short-lived. I think what may have also been a factor was that I developed a large cyst on my thyroid and I was really worried about it. I'm getting it worked up now, but I was really nervous about it during that time. I had a panic attack in my sleep the first night we were in Florida and it was the weirdest, scariest thing to wake up during one. If there is anything I've learned from all of that is that you just have to "let go" and it was a good lesson to learn. Nothing is more important than our emotional well-being! I'm sure you're right that it may have some seasonal aspects to it, but luckily it was short lived and I am back to enjoying winter. I hope you can get back to the countryside again some day as it is truly a wonderful place to be. :) Happy February to you as well and thanks again. xo

      Delete
  6. Heh, when I saw that New Year's photo I assumed it was actually Mardi Gras! I have a few neighbours who have Mardi Gras wreathes on their front doors and your beads would be right at home with them.

    By the way, your photo of the frost crystals is lovely - you could frame that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally Mardi Gras! I love it! Thanks so much for the photo encouragement, JS! :)

      Delete
  7. Hello from Spain: I want your best're from anxiety problems. I read your January you had a very familiar. I also take a walk every day 1 hour. I liked your photos a lot. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta! Walking is so good, isn't it? You are so kind. :) xo

      Delete