Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

Classic Julie Albright-An American Girl doll


Although I am child of the 80s, I did manage to squeeze my birth in during 1979 so I love to say that I was born in the 70s.  For some reason, the 60s and 70s have always been an era that I am drawn to.  I love watching classic TV shows based during that time and I jumped all over the 70s fashion trend that sort of came back for a little while.  I love scoring thrift shops for 70s themed household items and patterns.  I love the Brady Bunch. 

When I happened to come across an American Girl catalogue as an adult, you can imagine my excitement when I saw they had a girl from the 70s.  Julie immediately went onto my virtual "doll I want" list before I even had any idea I would actually be a collector. 
When the BeForever line was released, I wasn't the hugest fan of Julie's bright new outfit.  I can see why younger girls would really like it, but for me, I prefer the classic Julie that first entered the AG world. 
I was fortunate to find a Classic Julie on Ebay, brand new, for a tiny bit cheaper (free shipping!) on Ebay so she joined the Cozy Comforts doll family last spring.  It's taken me ages to get her photos up, but here they are!


The girls have an absolute field day with package peanuts. I keep a big box of it so on days where I have to get things done, I dump it out and they pretend it's snowing. ;) 



I love the Josefina face mold, so that was another feature that drew me to Julie.
I love that moment when you first see an American Girl doll for the first time.  I'm not sure what it is, but it could be that I see so many photos of them online, that when I see them in person, it's really satisfying.



Here's Julie out an about on one of my Autumn photo shoots.
Her hair is gorgeous!


My only compliant with her is that her eyes can be a bit difficult to photograph in certain light.  I have to do some editing in Photoshop to make them stand out a bit as otherwise, they can look a little too dark and void.










Not quite the shoes I'd recommend for climbing fences, but she did pretty well. ;) 


I miss this warm fall weather and the spectrum of colors that are everywhere. 


I had an audience during the photo shoot. :)


I miss the warm sun! 


Julie loves the farm.  She loves the sound of the trees and creek which is off to her left. 



Overall, I'm so happy to have  this Julie doll.  The braid will probably go soon, but she is such a cutie pie.  I'm excited to add some of her other clothing pieces to my collection, but probably will not add too many accessories or furniture.  I love her bed, but don't know where I'd put it, so we probably won't get it.  As of now, the only other Julie item I have is her Calico dress.
What do you guys think of her?  I know some of you probably already have her!

Today is Marten Luther King Jr. day and we have the day off from work and school.  I wish every weekend was a 3 day weekend!
I am trying to reflect on peace and equality today in memory of a man with a beautiful heart and spirit who we are lucky enough to have had spreading his soulful message on this Earth.
In the meantime, happy doll collecting!
Talk to you soon.
xo Farrah 

30 comments:

  1. Hello Farrah Lily!
    Julie is really cute. I am happy for you, I know how good it feels to be able to purchase a doll from your 'doll I want list'. She looks so good in her outfit. I checked up the newest version of Julie and your is by far my favourite.
    Guess what? I am a child of the 80s as well (well sort of since I was born two years earlier than you).
    Have a lovely day!
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for the 80s! We had some really fun, bright and zany toys back then, that's for sure! :) I'm glad you liked the review. I hope you have a nice day as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely prefer her original meet outfit to her new one, as someone who grew up in the 70's, I think it is much more accurate. Love the photo shoot, so cute. Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the new outfit is too much for me. Since I was going to buy her classic outfit anyway, I figured I'd just buy the original version from Ebay anyway! I like most of her older clothing collection as well and it's a shame most of it is no longer available, except for Ebay. I have no problem buying used clothing though! (Just like in real life, lol.) :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Farrah, I really like your new American Girl, thank you for sharing her. I look and look and look at AGs on the internet and this is the facemould that I like best too, with the little teeth. And although I'm often very tempted to get an AG like this, I am always put off by the fact that they have the cloth body. I love how your girl is dressed and none of the cloth part showing, but could I get away with doing that all the time? That is the question? I wouldn't be able to dress her in anything with a lower neckline or with shoulder straps for example because I think it looks so incredibly 'odd' when they are showing that cloth 'skin'. So what is a girl to do! It's just that I have soooo many patterns in this size, and no doll I have is exactly the correct size to wear them....and I can't be bothered to keep resizing them for other dolls. Decisions Decisions!
    Anyway, enough of what I am thinking, I love your photos and your 'audience' is very cute, I wonder what they thought of Julie? I think they probably thought she was cute like everyone else will.
    Have a great day off work/school. And yes, a good time to reflect on the inequality that still exists worldwide, will we ever learn from history?
    Big hugs Sharon in Spain xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      I totally agree with you about the cloth body thing! It just looks weird when you see the transition between the neck and head in a lower neckline. It would be amazing if AG could experiment and made a few with chest plates that go down farther like the Journey Girls.
      The cows are so curious! I think they just like to have something different to look at every once in a while! They are so cute. :)
      Big hugs back :)

      Delete
  4. Your Julie is gorgeous - the blue stitching on her top really compliments the outdoor colours, so it's brilliant that you were able to get her old outfit. I wonder what the cattle think about it all? ;)

    The Josefina mould is my favourite too, so I'm always tempted by dolls with it (I need to keep repeating to myself that don't need more full size AGs, or I may end up getting the new Josefina-faced girl of the year...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JSarie! I think the cows were just really happy to be looking at something different going on, haha. They are so curious! I know what you mean about resisting the AGs, lol. I told myself I would I'm probably done with any other Classic molds (I have Samantha, Caroline and that Truly Me one from the Jills/Steals thing) but the Josefina mold is another story! And the Jess mold, and I want a Somali mold and an Addy mold. Oh boy...lol

      Delete
  5. Hi Farrah, I was a child in the seventies (born in 1967), and indeed this outfit is exactly what teenagers wold wear back then. This is a lovely American Girl, I like everything about her: the hair, the clothes, very nice! The 70s vibe is special isn't it, I love watching films from those years too, and the fashion :-). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! :) I'm glad to hear that the outfit is pretty accurate to what a real girl would've worn back then. I just love the 70s too. :) xo

      Delete
  6. Julie is a very pretty doll and your photos have placed her in the kind of environment I imagine she would enjoy best. I'm glad you could get one of the dolls on your wish list - it always feels great doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carricters! It really is a nice feeling to have a doll from your wish list. Doll collecting is so fun. It's hard to imagine that just a few years ago, I didn't own any!

      Delete
  7. I still wear blouses like that! Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born in 1968, but I don't have very fond memories of 70s fashions, at least of the stuff I wore. I was much more fond of clothes during the 80s. I do agree that this outfit for Julie is much better than the new one, so I'm glad you were able to bring your Julie home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! Ahh, so you would've been a teen in the 80s so that would've been much more fun to be able to pick out your own clothes! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Farrah,
    I've often seen photos of these dolls on blogs, but I have never seen one IRL. Yous is really cute, I love dolls with little teeth, and hers are quite perfect. :) Conratulations on adding her to your collection.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xanadu! I agree about the teeth...I didn't initially like them, but now I think they're very cute. :)

      Delete
  10. Hello Farrah Lily,
    I'm so glad you found this gorgeous doll. She is superbly crafted and beautifully dressed. I hope you had a nice long weekend.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giac..it was so nice to have that extra day off! Big hugs to you as well and hope you had a nice weekend. :)

      Delete
  11. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! If you would like to participate, go here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Barb! I will try to do it this weekend :)

      Delete
  12. It's amazing how you found a Julie that you wanted. The cows looks so curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catlover02! I know, those cows are so cute. :)

      Delete
  13. Sweet doll. I like her outfits and shoes! :))) Great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is nothing better than opening that new doll package. sigh. Love yoru photo shoot especially the very curious and interested audience!! ha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got a classic Julie and I'm working on a post for her. She's a lovely doll, no question, but I feel you about her eyes. Brown eyes must be terribly difficult to do right for a doll; if they're too dark they look dead, but if they're too light they run the risk of looking unnatural! Your pictures came out very nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on getting your Julie!! She's definitely my favorite historical doll and if I had to keep just one, it would be her. Yeah, the eyes are weird to photograph, but in person I actually really prefer the brown eyed AG dolls for some reason. Thanks for your nice comment :)

      Delete