Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Doll Review: Great Scarrier Reef Clawdeen by Monster High

Happy Thursday!  Yay for almost Friday...work has been SO BUSY.  We have been down a bunch of nurses for a few months now and every day it's just a whirlwind to try to get everything done.  I always have to remind myself how happy and lucky I am that I work from home.  That is my saving grace!!

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well and enjoying your January where ever you are and whatever the weather is. 

Today's post is a quick photo review of the other Great Scarrier Reef doll I picked up last week. 
This was released along with Draculaura who I reviewed previously and these are the only two from this line I have purchased thus far.  
I found both Clawdeen and Draculaura in Walmart and both retailed for about $14.99.


I don't think I had paid much attention to the prototype images of this particular doll when she first came out, so when I saw her in the store, I was blown away by how lovely she was.
As I mentioned in my Draculaura post, I have a thing for mermaids and anything having to do with the ocean, so she really appealed to me.


You Tube review, if interested! 


I guess I forgot to grab a photo of her in the box, but Little Button was in the room with me while I was doing this review and video, so I was a bit distracted. ;)
Here's a look of her out of the box.  She can stand on her own when you position her fins a certain way, which is great, but to be honest, it took a while to get her to balance.


Clawdeen is a werewolf by nature, but appears to transform into a "wolf fish" once she enters the portal bringing her to Lagoona's home in the Great Scarrier Reef.
Her fins are a beautiful and shimmery iridescent green with lots of textured detail.



Her mid-fin area is a shimmery purple with a bright aqua pattern consisting of full and crescent moon silhouettes.
The two side fins on her hips are the glow in the dark feature of this doll and can pivot as well as be removed.


She wears a long, one-shoulder tunic style shirt with lavender and aqua "starfish appearing" cobwebs. Over the top, she has shimmery seaweed colored bangles and chains with crescent moon and tear drop charms.
Clawdeen's overall color scheme is much more appealing to me than Draculaura's 80's neon and it reminds me a lot of Twyla's coloring.



Her skin is lavender which is different from her normal coffee-brown skin tone.
She has additional fins attached to her forearms which are a really nice detail.


Her hair is glossy and a slightly coppery brown color with streaks of purple, blue and aqua mainly focused within her side-swept fringe.  So pretty!


She also wears a single earring that resembles a fish hook in her left ear. 


It was Clawdeen's beautiful face that really drew me in!  I love the way her golden werewolf eyes pop against her lilac face.  Her eye make-up is just gorgeous and very well painted.  Although her eyebrows are pretty harsh, her expression is still very cute, I think.
Overall, I really like this doll a lot.  She may be my favorite Clawdeen so far!

As you guys may have heard, there is a rumor that Monster High (and Ever After High) will be changing their face molds this year to be more "kid-friendly".  I was wondering what your thoughts were about that?  Here are some comparison photos.

For me, I am a little relieved.  I'm not a fan of the new look, which means I will be able to focus on finishing up my MH and EAH collections without feeling so overwhelmed by all of their new releases.  I would be interested in any new characters along the way, but most likely won't be getting any of the main ones with the new face molds.

Hope your day is great. ;)
xo Farrah 

22 comments:

  1. Wow, she's really a gorgeous shade of purple. Nice!

    I hadn't seen that old/new comparison before, so thanks for the link. I'm with you, not a big fan of the new look, but still curious to see any new characters that come out (and I'll be interested to see what the faces of any new MH boys end up looking like).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I'm very curious about the boy dolls as well. Right now, I think they look very stoic and there isn't very much character in their faces. It will be interested to see if the new guys are more animated. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Farrah! Thanks for the extensive review on this new doll. I am really impressed by the fact that she can stand on her on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Arlette! Yes, she doesn't balance quite as well as Draculaura did, but it's really nice that she doesn't need a stand!

      Delete
  3. I don't really like the new face molds either, although I'm only allowed to collect MH dolls that don't look too monstery. I always thought that's what made them unique. But now the new face molds look like..cheap knock-off dolls.
    BTW-Great review! I love Clawdeen (I also love wolves) and her as a 'wolf fish' is a neat addition to her collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AddyLovesWolves,
      I agree! The photos almost look fake to me (maybe they are, who knows) but the coloring or screening looks so cheap. I guess we will have to wait to see them in person before we can really make a true decision. And that is the reason Mattel is changing their faces, because too many adults complained that the weren't "kid-friendly" enough! I love wolves and Clawdeen too! :)

      Delete
  4. The new face molds... I am liking them less each time I see them. So insipid!

    Wolf Fish Clawdeen is such a striking reminder of why the more exotic traditional face-ups were GOOD. Purple becomes her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, purple is a great color for her. I'm excited to see the movie to see how everyone looks in animation form. Ah well, I still have a lot of MH dolls to catch up on so I'm not too disappointed about the new faces..yet. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Farrah,
    I love Clawdeens colours, purple and aqua go together so well. Her face makeup is gorgeous too, but not over the top with the rest of the design. I guess I find the MH a little too much colour at once for me, but each to their own, we can't all like the same dolls otherwise our blogs would get a little boring. :)

    It was a great review and I enjoyed reading your comments.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu,
      Thanks for the sweet words! Great point about the nice diversity of other people's blogs. I love reading about so many other dolls even if I don't collect them. There is so much variety in this hobby which, I think, adds to it's appeal. :)
      xo

      Delete
  6. Hello Farrah Lily,
    She is lovely. I love the colors they used and she is quite elegantly fashioned. I hope the shortage of nurses comes to an end soon.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giac, I hope so too! Elegant is a great word to describe her and I'd have to agree. :)
      Big hug back

      Delete
  7. What a lovely colour! I almost bought one of the MH girls yesterday because of the colour of her skin, but stopped myself as I really wouldn't do anything with her! But they are attractive and bright, which is nice and very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! I would've LOVED to see a MH girl on your blog, lol. It's amazing to me how popular with adult collectors this doll line has become. I'm also stunned by the sheer volume of dolls that have already been produced over the past 5 years. So many!

      Delete
  8. I love everything purple so she a keeper! I love the new face mold, they seem softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...her color range definitely sucked me in. That is nice to hear you like the new face molds. I actually think the new Clawdeen looks very cute. To be honest, I showed both my 6 and 3 year old the comparison photos and they both picked the newer, softer molds as the one they preferred. Mattel probably really does know what they are doing even though a lot of adult collectors are angry!

      Delete
  9. Hello from Spain: I really like this doll. Great review. Fabulous pics. keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT KIND OF FISH IS SHE?! I AM DYING TO KNOW PEEPS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why would they change the face molds?! If they had the Bratz look of pouty lips and "come hither, bedroom eyes", I can see changing it. But they're already kid friendly! The main reason I love these dolls for my young daughter is because it helps show her that just because someone looks different, has different colored skin, tattoos and piercings, or dresses differently, that we're all the same inside, " freaky flaws" and all. Please, don't change the dolls!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! My daughters love these dolls just the way they were and they are only 3 and 7! I just recently saw a few of the new MH budget dolls in my local Walmart. I don't really know what to think. I won't be getting the non-articulated ones, but I have to admit..they were CUTE. Ah well..I am just focusing on collecing the older ones for now! :)

      Delete