Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

August Was Pretty Great


Well, guys, I don't know about you, but summer totally flew by this year.
August for me, was filled with sunshine and warmth almost every single day.  (And lots of coughing, lol...glad that's over!)
We had fabulous weather up here in the Northeast and I don't think we had one single day of rain. (So weird!)  Maybe a few afternoon showers here or there, but nothing that lasted very long.


Now that I'm documenting these monthly wrap-ups, it's cool to watch the landscape around me change when I otherwise might not have noticed it.  Those bright greens from early summer have definitely faded into less vibrant tones.  Everything is starting to transition to the golden hue of autumn.


The pond is getting quite dry and overgrown as you can see.



The cows have moved from pasture to pasture and will soon be moving across the street, which is just the best! :) 





The creeks are running pretty dry, but so beautiful, nonetheless.




We made it to one local county fair this past month and had a great time seeing all the animals,
displays, kiddie rides and fair food (best part)!




Little Button is my animal lover and she just adored all of the cows, horses, rabbits, pigs, goats, ponies, chickens, etc.  You would never know she sees all these animals everyday living on a farm!




I loved the antique displays showing average styles of furniture from the earlier 20th century.


I was shocked to find more berries this month! 

Of course, squeezing in those after dinner walks with the girls has been much easier without the crazy tight schedule of homework and early bedtime that fills up the school year.







I've said this before, but it doesn't get old...one of my favorite things to do is to sit on the front porch in the morning sun and drink my coffee.  It's just so warm and peaceful and I love it so much!


Library haul.
Still working on these blankets!  :) 



Having every Tuesday morning off (I work the evening shift) we spent a lot of time at our little Town Park.  They have a cute trail that I never noticed before!







My aunt and uncle have a camp on this beautiful nearby lake so we spent a few days here and there swimming in the crystal clear water.  I really enjoy kayaking, but this time I tried their paddle board and it's my new favorite thing!  I love lakes..I love the blues and greens that are everywhere as well as the stillness that you find when you're out in the middle of it.


Later in the month we took a day trip to Woodstock, NY.  The drive was beautiful as the Catskill Mountains looming ahead are still full of gorgeous shades of green.  We always try to take a drive down this way during autumn as well because the leaves are stunning!


This was the biggest flower I've ever seen. 


Woodstock, is of course known for the famous 1969 music festival and it still has that hippie, 60's feel to it with a splash of modern artsy edge. There are lots of cute shops, art studios, markets and places to eat.



I was absolutely IN LOVE with these miniature Ferris wheel and carousel.
I didn't buy one single thing this trip, though.
(Because I'm too busy hoarding dolls, lol. )


Waiting patiently for lunch. :) 


We stopped in this outdoor flea market we always like to check out and saw some old 80s style glasses. I'm pretty sure we had a Care Bears set back in the day.


Also this Native American Barbie (I was tempted.) 


And these Graduation Barbies!  This was the year I graduated high school, so I almost got one, but resisted. :)



Pumpkin Pie and Little Button picked out little Frozen necklaces from the flea market for their special treats.


Cozy. 


On our drive home, we stopped at our favorite ice cream shop for a cold, frosty treat. 


So many choices!


Cotton candy with sprinkles. :)


We're still lucky enough to see lots of wildlife around the farm.  Especially at dusk.
Here's a little flock of turkeys (with their babies!) that we see most evenings making their way across the field.


Remember Peppy (originally named Casper) the friendly calf?  Here she is!  Growing up so fast. :)


It's hard to believe school starts back up again tomorrow.  It was a warm, beautiful summer and I'm trying not to be sad about the finality of it that I'm starting to feel (because TECHNICALLY it's still summer for 3 more weeks). :)
Trying my best to embrace the change of seasons...autumn..., the colors, the crisp days, the warm sweaters, the bonfires and the cozy comfort food that's going to be making it's way back into my diet.  Cider doughnuts, afternoon hot tea, apple cider, home-made bread, chunky soups and stews...yum.

I hope you all had a great weekend!  Ours was very busy with my cousin's wedding, Labor Day picnics, and my brother and his wife being in town from Florida.  I've gotten so behind on reading everyone else's blogs, but hoping to catch up this week!  I love seeing what you all are up to.  :)
If any of you have kids starting school tomorrow, good luck!  I'm going to need it, lol. #notamorningperson

 I just hope Pumpkin Pie gets on the bus without tears.  Last year she would look at me right before climbing on with tears in her eyes saying how much she was going to miss me.  Breaks my heart, but I know within a few minutes she's already distracted and fine. (Even though I'm not!)

I have to start being better about getting to bed early.  Ugh.
On that note, goodnight!!  See you all in blog land soon and thank you, as always for stopping by the blog. :)


-Farrah xoxo

22 comments:

  1. I absolutely enjoyed this pictures! I am an amateur photographer and my favorite subject is nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, the grandmommy...if I could be a pro landscape and wildlife photographer, that would be my dream! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. :)

      Delete
  2. So many great photos! I would have loved those displays of antique furniture and appliances too, I don't know why I'm so fascinated by them. I love your front porch too, that is one thing the house we live in now is missing, I've been looking at it trying to figure out how to put one on. Hope the first day of school goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Flo, I know, I love old vintage and antique furniture. It's just so cool to see how people used to live. I could visit a whole museum dedicated to this stuff!
      Isn't that porch fantastic? It's the first place we've ever lived that had a big one like this and it's so much fun. We love to sit out there during summer rainstorms as well. :)
      The first day of school has gone great so far! She got on the bus without tears so that was a success in my book! I"m anxiously waiting for the next hour and a half to go by for her to get home to see how it went. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Farrah,
    It looks like you ended the summer in style! Great picture! It looks like you had a lot of fun and got to see some amazing places.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac,
      Yes, we do try to end the month in style...as best we can through the chaos. :) Thanks for stopping by the blog as your kind, as always, comments. :)
      Big hug back!

      Delete
  4. As always, great photos! I could almost smell the flowers and the grass! Your photos make me miss our farm. My eldest daughter started her second year of college last week and my baby started her sophomore year of High School today. Hey, they are both sophomores! The summer did go by so fast -- just in the blink of an eye! Me -- I am officially retired now. I hope to work on more dioramas and spaces for my dolls. Maybe thin down some of my collection a bit. I want to write more stories too, but realize I need the dios to live out my story lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phylls! I have to admit, I got a little lazy this month and most of the photos were taken with my phone, but that's ok!! :) I know what you mean about how special farms are...I will miss this place SO MUCH when we eventually move on.
      Congratulations on your retirement...that's amazing! I can't wait to see your new dios and stories...you are such a talented story teller...so creative! I hope your older daughter is having a blast in college (the good old days!!) and that your younger daughter had a great first day today. I remember LOVING 10th grade. :)

      Delete
  5. It looks so nice where you live. Don't know that I'll ever get to live in the country.

    We see wildlife where we live too, although I don't know how much of it belongs in the heavily suburban west side of Cleveland. Last night I saw an 8 point buck. We also see turkeys, and Mr. BTEG saw a coyote, of all things, earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb,
      Yes, we just love it out here in this little rural town..I've lived in a city as well as a suburb before, but keep coming back to the country. That is pretty amazing the amount of wildlife you still see where you are though...you've got me beat with the 8 point buck!! :)

      Delete
  6. Another lovely post, your photos are beautiful as are your sweet girls! I nearly had a sugar overdose just looking at the cotton candy (or candy floss as we Brits call it!) all covered in sprinkles, I've never seen anything like that before, and which gave me another language difference, I think we call those 'hundreds and thousands'! Love the language differences ;)
    It's so nice to see your home in the different seasons. Here there isn't much change except that now that the children are going back to school after about 12 weeks off, so there are less people about. The beaches are less busy, in fact our beach here is empty, b ut for a few fishermen. I love the summer but I don't like the crowds that much, and the problems with parking when we go into town.
    As for your wildlife, love it! We see loads and loads of goats here, they're not wild of course, they're herded all over the place by the goatherd, and it's not unusual to be held up in the street as they all cross the roads. We have a lot of lizards and loads of green parrots. Oh and this year for the first time in 11 years, I saw wild dolphins, now that for me was fantastic as they are one of my favourite animals.
    I hope your daughter enjoyed her first day back at school and you both weren't too sad after spending a lovely summer together.
    Big hugs, Sharon in Spain x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton floss...I love it! Yes, total sugar high. I also love language differences. I think you Brits would also say something like "heaps and heaps of sprinkles?" (or would that be the Aussies, lol...) The different UK accents and wording is so charming to me. :)
      How nice to find less crowds out where you are...I can imagine it's not very relaxing when there are too many people at the beach. I really enjoy the changing seasons, but I would be happy living somewhere like were you live and just taking short trips back to the Northeast to get my "seasons fix". Winter is just too darn long for me up here!
      That is amazing that you were able to see wild dolphins! They are one of my favorite animals as well and I've only seen them 2-3 times ever when I was living in Florida.
      Pumpkin Pie seems to really enjoy being back in school so I'm really happy about that. :)
      Big hugs back!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing Farrah, this post is filled with love and beauty!
    Your girls are so lucky to have a mom like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Billa! That is so sweet of you to say :) xoxo

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos Farrah, you are so lucky! I especially love the photos of the flowers and the lake. The cotton candy with the sprinkles looks very delicious :-). I hope everything went well on the first school day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Yes, first AND second days so far were a success. She's a pro at this now. :) xoxo

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures Farrah! It looks like you had a WONDERFUL august!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love seeing your photos of your area - you have such a good eye for taking them, and you're in such a beautiful spot!

    I recognize that Great Muppet Caper glass on that flea market table - I think my mother has one just like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mucho, jSarie! Oh the Great Muppet Caper, that was a classic back in the day, lol :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos, Farrah. I'm catching up on my blog reading too because I've had a cold and haven't felt like doing anything much. We are looking forward to summer this year as we've had our coldest winter for 26 years so I've really enjoyed your photos of flowers and sun. And that fairy floss (your 'cotton candy') is amazing. I've never seen it covered with 'hundreds and thousands' before (in Australia - multi-coloured ='hundreds and thousands', only 1 colour like chocolate = 'sprinkles' - just to make things even more confusing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrickters! I love how you call cotton candy "fairy floss" and the "sprinkles" translation is great too. I'm so happy things are warming up for you now in Australia...you will have sunny skies and beautiful flowers in no time! It's always really fun to see the landscape change in the opposite side of the world. I hope you continue to feel better!

      Delete